Are you looking to translate your website? Then you might want to consider Weglot, one of the easiest translation plugins for WordPress.
When we talk about business today, globalization is a word thrown around left, right, and center. In fact, we use the word so much that it’s as though it’s lost its meaning and impact – a classic example of semantic satiation.
However, globalization, which the Peterson Institute of International Economics defines as “the growing interdependence of the world’s economies, cultures, and populations, brought about by cross-border trade in goods and services” remains as important as ever when it comes to growing to your business on an international scale.
What’s more? Global success is very much dependent on your ability to successfully communicate with each of your individual global markets and audiences.
Of course, when we think of how to communicate successfully on a global scale, we think of translation. And given the rapid growth of the e-commerce industry, which is expected to be valued at 6.5 billion USD in 2023, the necessity to translate your websites and e-commerce platforms become all the more crucial.
Luckily, translating your website has never been easier thanks to the WordPress translation plugin Weglot.
In this Weglot review, we’ll take a look at its features, pros and cons, and help you decide if it’s worth the hype. Also, we’re going to take a look at all the features of Weglot, and how you can install it to have a fully functional multilingual website running in minutes.
Table of Contents
Weglot is a platform-independent website translation solution.
Weglot was set up in 2016 in a small Parisian flat by founders Remy Berda and Augustin prot, Weglot is now a cohort of over 20 people who are trusted by over 50,000 websites globally to translate their content.
Weglot supports over 100 languages with its solution, and while this article will explore how to download and use the Weglot WordPress plugin, it’s worth noting that Weglot integrates with every CMS, making it a completely platform-independent solution.
To translate your WordPress site, you need to download the free plugin from WordPress.org. This free lightweight connector plugin integrates your site into the Weglot platform. Once it’s activated, you can instantly translate your site by simply specifying to which languages you want to translate your content.
Weglot Review: Why Use It on Your Site
Weglot comes with all features you’ll ever need from a WordPress translation plugin, such as automatic translation, manual professional translation, multilingual SEO optimization, and more. But what makes Weglot unique?
Let’s take a look at a few unique features of Weglot that makes it stand out from the competition.
Translating your WordPress site in 5 steps with Weglot
1. Find the Weglot plugin on WordPress
On your admin dashboard on WordPress, scroll along the sidebar and find “Plugins”, click “Add new”, a search bar will appear, type “Weglot” and search.
2. Install and activate the Weglot plugin
After you’ve searched, Weglot will appear as the first result. Click “Install Now”, this installation should take no more than a few seconds. When this is completed, you will be prompted to then activate the plugin. Simply click “Activate”.
3. Finalize your Weglot configuration
You will then see a new Weglot tab along the sidebar of your WordPress dashboard. You’ll need to click on this tab to finalize your configuration.
4. Enter your API Key & Choose the Original and Destination Language(s)
The configuration process comes to an end at this page. What you need to do is copy and paste your unique API key. This is available on your Weglot account dashboard (you’ll have to login or create an account to get access to this).
Once the API key is pasted in, all you need to do is select the original site of your website, and then the destination language(s). (i.e. the language(s) you want to translate your site into). When this is done, click “Save Changes”.
5. Your multilingual site is live
Once these changes have been saved, go onto your website and notice the language switcher. Your site is now completely multilingual. At this point, you also have the option of customizing your language switcher to change its position on your site or by changing how it looks. You can also make use of other advanced features such as ” Translation Exclusion” which allows you to choose pages or specific parts of your site that shouldn’t be translated.
Works With Any Platform
Even if you have websites on multiple platforms, like WordPress and Shopify, you can easily manage their translation from a single account.
With their Pro plan, you can translate up to 3 sites. With Enterprise and Corporate plans, you can translate up to 15 and an unlimited number of sites respectively.
Visual Editor for Manual Translation
Automated translation is the perfect choice for you if you want to translate your content quickly and easily without having to hire a professional translator. Not only can you make instant translation with Weglot, but the plugin also makes it super easy to edit your translation with the visual editor.
With its visual editor, you can make changes to your automated translated content right from the frontend of your website. All you have to do is to go to the Visual Editor tab and click Start Editing.
You’ll be directed to your website. Just click on the Edit icon of the element where you want to fix the automatically translated content and start customizing it from the frontend.
What makes the Weglot plugin so good?
When it comes to translating your WordPress site, a number of options are available. However, Weglot offers the most comprehensive, user-friendly, and intuitive solution on the market. Some key features include:
- Installation and set up: Unlike other options, Weglot is a no-code solution and so is extremely user friendly. It auto-detects all of your content (no matter where it’s coming from e.g. another plugin) and you can have your multilingual site up and running in 5 minutes.
- Compatibility: Weglot integrates seamlessly with any CMS meaning you don’t have to worry if WordPress isn’t your CMS of choice. Check out a list of integration guides here.
- Simple Translation Management: Weglot uses automatic translation to translate your site the first time around. However, you can then manually edit translations or, if required, Weglot can provide access to professional translators if verification is required. Furthermore, the translation management features include a ‘’visual editor’’ which allows you to edit translations in a live preview of your website.
- SEO Optimised: Weglot is an SEO optimized solution meaning that all your content is indexed following Google's best practices. It translates all of your metadata and automatically adds hreflang tags, meaning that your international SEO is covered.
- Unparalleled Customer Support: Weglot has a rigorous support team who will respond to any query within one business day and work quickly to find solutions to any issues you may experience.
Cons of Using Weglot
Now that we’ve looked at the benefits of using Weglot, it’s worth taking a moment to examine some of the cons of using Weglot.
Weglot is a premium translation platform. While it has a free plan, it’s limited to translating up to 2000 words and 5000 translated page views per month.
2. Ownership of the content
The ownership of the translated content is unclear. As it seems, as you cancel the subscription, you won’t be able to display the translated content on your site.
Weglot’s Support and Pricing
Weglot provides you with superior support customer support via email. Their extensive knowledge base guides you through every aspect of translating your website with Weglot.
Weglot has a limited free plan for those who wanted to test the service before opting for a premium plan. They also offer 5 premium plans:
- Starter: € 9.90 / month for 1 translated language and up to 10,000 words
- Business: € 19 / month for 5 translated languages and up to 50,000 words
- Pro: € 49 / month for unlimited translated languages and up to 200,000 words
- Enterprise: € 199 / month for unlimited translated language and up to 1,000,000 words
- Corporate: € 499 / month for unlimited translated language and up to 5,000,000 words
If you're looking to grow your business on an international scale, Weglot is the most comprehensive translation solution available to help you make your WordPress site multilingual.
Its intuitive dashboard, quality of translation, and access to over 100+ languages make it the best option on the market. A free version of Weglot is available for up to 2000 words and 1 translated language, pricing for paid plans start at €9.90 per month.
Why not try out Weglot’s 10-day free trial to see for yourself how going multilingual can transform your WordPress site.